I'm sure most of you out there have purchased a large amount of bananas at one time or another, only to have them turn into these:
Blech! I don't know about you, but I like my bananas a little on the green side. The idea of these mushing around in my mouth makes me wanna *gag*! Normally, my kids would have eaten these long before this would have happened, but for whatever reason, they didn't and these are what I found in my fruit tray this morning.
Now usually, I try to avoid baking this time of year. August in AZ is not pleasant with temps ranging close to 115 degrees and muggy because of monsoon season. But, in an effort to save money, not waste food (which, my children do often), and "use every part of the buffalo" as it were, I decided to make an exception.
So, what's a gal to do? Make banana bread, of course! Here is a shnazzy recipe that my family loves:
Banana Bread (yields 1 loaf...I usually double the recipe)
1/2 c. butter, at room temperature
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 c. all-purpose flour (I use unbleached cake flour)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
3 large ripe bananas
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. chopped pecans (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom and sides of 9x5-inch loaf pan with wax paper and grease. (I use parchment paper and PAM.)
2. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Sift the all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon over the butter mixture and stir to blend.
5. Stir in the whole-wheat flour.
6. In a separate bowl and using a fork, mash the bananas into a puree, then stir into the batter. Stir in vanilla and pecans (if desired).
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s) and spread level.
8. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.It's tasty good! I hope you enjoy!
I'm linking up to these great parties!